There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Toho Journal publishes fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and art and photography too! While we focus on Philadelphia, creatives of all stages and geographies are invited to apply.
THEME: The theme of our Fall/Winter 2021 issue is Dreams & Nightmares. What do you dream of? What terrifies you? How do dreams sometimes become nightmares? Use the theme as a starting point (stay close to the theme or wander off). Requirements: Please read the following carefully. Due to submission volume, pieces not following guidelines may not be read.
Simultaneous submissions: Encouraged, just notify us if accepted elsewhere.
Response Time: 3–4 months. Please be patient.
Requirements: Please read the following carefully. Due to submission volume, pieces not following guidelines may not be read.
- Fiction & Nonfiction: 750 words max.
- Poetry: 1–3 poems. 500 words in total (preference for shorter poems).
- Art & Photography: 1–3 pieces, .jpg or .tiff (.tiff preferable). Submit each piece as its own file. Min resolution: 300 dpi; max file size: 45 MB.
- Video: Up to 2 minutes in length. MP4 or Mov file.
- Formatting: Manuscripts should have your name, submission title, and page numbers.
- File naming: Please use your last name.
- Make sure you're submitting to the proper genre. Miscategorized pieces may not be read.
- NOTE: The online and print journal are separate and exclusive. If you are published in one, you will not be published in the other. (Though occasionally it happens.)
- Finally, we welcome all writers and particularly seek to be a welcoming space to BIPOC writers, LGBTQ+ writers, and writers of all marginalized identities.
For the full submission guidelines and FAQ, go here.
We charge $3. Why? Publishing is expensive! Just to give you an idea, Submittable charges a monthly fee and takes $1.14 of each submission. And printing is expensive too.